fbpx
CALL US NOW0303-2299977
  • My Cart
    0
    About Our City

    Shikarpur district in Sindh is recognised for its rich tradition, culture, history, trade, civilization, politics, commerce, fabulous architecture, monumental buildings, narrow streets and brotherhood throughout its 4 centuries old history. The district is situated around 18 miles from the right bank of the Indus in Larkana division with the 1.4 million population.

    The district was established in 1617 AD. It has four talukas, including Lakhi Ghulam Shah, Garhi Yasin, Khanpur and Shikarpur itself, while according to historians, in the 17th century, Shikarpur had a land full of forests and was a favourite hunting ground (Shikargah) of the Daudpota tribe.

    As of current, Shikarpur district borders meet with Larkana, Jacobabad, Khairpur Mir, Sukkur and Katcha area touches with Ghotki district. The two national highways N-65 and N-55 intersect the city of Shikarpur making it the junction points of four provinces. The city was constructed inside a Fort during the rule of Kalhora’s, a Baloch-origin dynasty which ruled parts of present-day Pakistan from 1701 to 1783.

    Ahmed Shah Durrani, founder of the Durrani Empire and of modern day Afghanistan, took control of Shikarpur after defeating Mian Noor Muhammad Kalhoro and affixed it to his territory. Since then, caravans from Afghanistan started visiting Shikarpur as well as many Hindus and Muslims started visiting the city and the district became a hub of trade.

    Shikarpur has always been an important trading industry as it commands the trade route through the Bolan Pass. Merchants, from Central Asia including Iran, Iraq, Samarkand, Sumatra, Geneva, Rome, Japan, Burma and Honolulu, carried out trade of gold, cotton, spices etc.

    Another interesting fact about the district is that the Central Bank of India branch in Shikarpur was constructed in 1940 CE, before partition, with the collaboration of Shikarpuri Hindu traders to facilitate the traders of Shikarpur. The CBI has, unfortunately, turned into residential building.

    Dhak Bazaar, covered with Sagwan wooden roof, adds to the beauty of Shikarpur and makes it a architectural marvel. More so, the bazar makes it a unique experience itself for the visitors.

    Shikarpur was once known as the ‘Paris’ of Sindh and was popular for its education institutes while it also enjoyed the status of the first city to have an intermediate college when two traders Sital Das and Chella Sing donated Rs 0.1 million and Rs50,000 respectively to build C&S college which functioned from 1927 to 1932 when Sindh was a part of Bombay.

    In British era, a primary school had been inaugurated by British officers and it enjoys the status of first primary school in Sindh. Thus, there were overall 77 graduates in across Sindh during 1930s, while from them, 70 were only from Shikarpur district.

    Renowned columnist and writer Nasim Bhukhari said that Shikarpur was the first city in Pakistan to get an independent power plant more than 100 years back. It belonged to a Hindu trader and accustomed to providing the city an uninterrupted electric supply.

    Hindu Philanthropist Rai Bahadur Udhodas Tarachand established RBUT Hospital and wrote his name on the floor of the main entrance of the hospital so that the patients could step onto his name and he could earn the pleasure of God. Nowadays, RBUT Hospital has been updated as District Headquarters Hospital Shikarpur.

    There are eight gardens including Ganesh Park, Shahi Bagh, which was known for its thriving vegetation and scented flowers. Shahi Bagh had a zoo with a number of lions, cheetahs, bears and other animals, who were later shifted to Karachi Zoo. The garden had a wooden pavilion that was designed by Perston Phel and constructed by Sir W. Merewether in September 1871.

    To provide entertainment to the people of Shikarpur, three large scale cinemas including Afshan Cinema, Plaza Cinema and Naz Cinema were established, but with growth in popularity of CDs and internet, the business of the cinemas reduced and Naz cinema is the only one that continues to exist.

    Among the more popular eatables, Kulfi Faluda still remains a famous treat. Shikarpur is also known for its famous Achar (pickle) across the world as well as for Deewan’s Mithai (sweet).

    Despite the district’s rich culture and popularity, people of Shikarpur could not maintain their precious and expensive assets they got from their forefathers and sold out precious doors, expensive windows, balconies and valuables to rich people in Karachi, Hyderabad, Lahore and Islamabad at high prices. These valuables can be found at fancy restaurants in Karachi’s DHA, Lahore, Islamabad and in the homes of the rich and famous personalities.

    Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
    • Image
    • SKU
    • Rating
    • Price
    • Stock
    • Availability
    • Add to cart
    • Description
    • Content
    • Weight
    • Dimensions
    • Additional information
    Click outside to hide the comparison bar
    Compare